Monday, October 26, 2009

Thinking Points #6 Wise

1. "Once again, white preference remains hidden because it is more subtle, more ingrained and isn't called white preference, even if thats the effect."
This quote is following the paragraphs about Michigan and how it awards points to different groups of people. It awards 16 points to students who are form the upper peninsula from Michigan. This area however, is mostly white. The quote is talking about how when anger is risen from this topic, it is always about the minorities revieving an upper hand with getting points; and what epople don't realize is that white people are getting an upper hand also. The reason people don't get angry about this is because it isn't "advertised". Whites aren't getting points because their application has a check mark next to the white box, but because they give points to areas where white people make up the majority. White preference is hidden, and even ignored because it has "power".

2. "Very telling is the oft-heard comment by whites, 'if only I were black, I would have gotten into my first choice college.'"
When I read this part I was amazed. I can't believe that white students actually believe this. I know that white priviledge isn't acknowledged, but to think that you didn't get into a school because someone who applied was black and had gotten in over you is rediculous. Whites have the highest chance of getting into college over any other race that applies. The reason this students probably don't get in because they didn't meet the schools criteria. I also like how Wise explains that not only does the quote state that the student didn't get in because they lost their spot to someone of color, but it also indicates that the white student doesn't believe that they would have any negative effects on their life if they switched their race. As if their life would stay exactly the same except for getting into the school.

3. "ask a fish what water is and you'll get no answer. Even if fish were capable of speech, they would likely have no explanation for the element they live in every minute of every day of thier lives. Water simply is. Fish take it for granted."
I really liked this quote that Wise put in when I read this. I thought it was a great comparison for the white priviledge. It tells exactly what it would be like to ask a white person about white priviledge. They would most likely have nothing to say about it because they don't really realize it is there. It reminded me of the McIntosh article we read and how everyone in class and even she didn't realize how much white priviledge we have in everyday life until she wrote it down. It sad that how so much power whites have because of their color, isn't even noticed.

I really enjoyed this article. I think it was easy to follow along and he had a lot of good points. His fish comparison was great and I don't think anyone would be able to come up with a better one. I also think that this article went along with McIntosh's article alot so that was another reason it was a good read. I could make alot of connections to things we have talked about in class and articles we have read. I think that in order to change the white priviledge, we need to teach it and analyze it in our schools and communities.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed that quote also. Somes you seem to forget that you have privledges and you only realize them if or when they get taken away from you.

    great post :)

    ReplyDelete