Monday, October 19, 2009

Thinking Points #5 Kahne and Westheimer

1. "Educators and Legislators alike maintain that service learning can improve the community and invigorate the classroom, providing rich educational experiences for students at all levels of schooling".

I picked this quote because I think it is the main point of the entire article. I do believe that the service learning program does affect the community and classroom. It allows people in the community who like to work with children and feel that they would be a huge help in the classroom, to be able to share their knowledge and help inside a school. It also allows the teacher to have some help when they are the only teacher inside the classroom. It also gives students a chance to be helped by someone who is not their normal classroom teacher and helps them understand manors towards new elders they have not worked with.

2. "In the moral domain, service learning activities tend toward two types of relationships. Relationships that emphasize charity we will call "giving." Those that aim primarily to deepen relationships and to forge new connections we will call "caring."

This was interesting to me because I never thought of it this way. I always thought of it as giving back to the community and caring came along with it. But after they explained it I kind of understood what the difference was between them and why they are seperate.

3. "Currently, the most broadly supported goal for the service learning activities is to convey to students the importance of charity".
I think this quote is really important to the piece because it gives meaning to service learning. It explains that there is a legit reason for students to cooperate with it. It also explains how important it is to give to the community through charities and helping out.

I liked reading this article, but it wasn't the most intriguing article we have read this semester. I didn't have alot of feed back while reading it, so it made it sort of difficult to stay interested in it. I did learn some new things from the article that may come in handy with the conversations we will have tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. i do think service learning will help people have a stronger bond with their community! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given quote #2 that you picked, did our class discussion help you flesh this out for yourself a little more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah it definately helped alot. It cleared up confusion I had and it also helped me see other peoples thoughts about it. Thanks for asking :)

    ReplyDelete