Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Talking Points #4 Christensen

1. "Our society's culture industry colonizes their minds and teaches them how to act, live and dream".
I picked this quote because it is exactly true. So many things in our society depict what we should live like, look like, and act like. Christensen mentions the cartoons and children's movies like snow white and cinderella. These stories all show that everyone should be skinny and beautiful (to society's means. i.e. blonde hair, skinny, perfect features) and never lets children know that everyone is beautiful in their own way. If you don't look like snow white, cinderella, or bell, then you are not beautiful is basically what they show. I really believe that media has a huge role in not only children's self-esteem but also adults who carry around doubts about themselves.

2. "When women do appear they look like Jessica Rabbit or playboy centerfolds- even in many of the new and "improved" children's movies".
I picked this quote because it took my words right out of my mouth. As soon as i read about how women are rarely seen in the shows, it popped into my head that when they are present they are portrayed as sex characters most of the time. Wearing sexy little dresses and not appearing to be very smart.

3. "Many who watched cartoons before we started our discussion say they can no longer enjoy them. Now, instead of seeing a bunch of ducks in clothes , they see the racism, sexism, and violence that swim under the surface of the stories".
I think that it is important that these students finally see the cartoons like this because if we don't notice this going on through everyday media we will never be able to change it. The younger you are the more suceptable you are to images and these children are learning this stuff through the cartoons that entertain them. If we are teaching our children these stereotypes, how are we ever going to make a difference in society when its starting so young.

I really enjoyed reading Christensen. I liked how she explained what she did in the classroom with her children and how she tied the activities together to make them see the negativity in these cartoons. I thought it was very interesting to read. Alot of the article reminded me of the new dove self-esteem commercials and how they have the workshops for younger girls so they can think of themselves as beautiful. I am going to try and post one off of youtube when I am finished. I think that it is important to discuss this because this happens everyday; everytime a child watches his/her favorite cartoon and most parents are oblivious to it.

1 comment: